Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Hate, and Love

Daivik was glued to the television for some days. In the last four days he watched more TV than in the preceding 40 months, mostly cartoon channels. Presently, he was fussing again over food but wanted to play with me. In one of those irrational moments of parental stubbornness, I told him he can play with me only if he finishes his breakfast (a strategy strictly not recommended!). He tried his tricks, made a face, whimpered a bit. And then he said, "I hate you". I stopped on my tracks. This word was new.  I asked him if he knew what it meant. With an accuracy that was at once alarming and astounding, he said "It is the opposite of I love you". It was not amusing. I asked him where he learnt it, and he said "from TV".

Okay, television OFF.

Later in the day, when I was busy with something else, he ran to me, hugged my neck and said, "I love you". I just nodded. He then taught me : "Appa, when somebody says I love you, you have to reply, I love you too".

2 comments:

  1. LOL the latter one he probably also learned from the telly :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously, I think it's very important that the kids have space to express their frustration and negative emotions just as well as the positive ones. And it's the task of the parent to teach them how to release negative emotions in a safe way. Otherwise negative emotions will get stuck inside and lead to depressions and sicknesses later in life.

    ReplyDelete